Sunday, April 27, 2008

bye bye europe = (

So we are finally in London and we go home tomorrow......its been really hard getting any sort of consistent internet and or time to blog. I've taken down some notes though just so I don't forget anything.

Vatican is really unbelievable and to think St. Peters is built around Peter's grave I guess in hindsight its pretty obvious given the name. The amount of gold on display there is ridiculous, when we were there I overheard some tour guide saying jut in St. Peter's there is enough gold to get an African nation out of poverty.

The Richard Myer building in Rome is nice but it just doesn't seem to fit. Chris Jordan "Running The Numbers" very cool images and definitely something that surprised me.

Italians love their Nike Air Max 97's and I missed out on my chance to buy them. They don't have them here in London or Barcelona. They still got 3 or 4 different color schemes in store and none that I've ever seen in Vancouver. Oh well they were expensive anyways.....

Anyone know if wifi passes through marble? There must be some reason why the wifi in Italy seems so wonky and seriously its a matter of 1 step in any direction for being out of wifi range.

I've developed a liking to sparkling water, never drank it before Italy and now I have a bottle with every meal. Gelato is everywhere in Italy, I've had it every day I was there.

Weather in Barcelona was great and I have a new favorite building.
La Sagrada Familia, building started in 1882 and is scheduled to be finished in 2026, I don't know if any of the pictures I've taken can do it justice. I just love the building and how the old and new are combined together and just how great it is.

Camp Nou and seeing the stadium......I was like a kid in a candy store. Seriously I was tempted to jump the security fence and make a run across the pitch.

Last day in Barcelona was spent having a lunch by the beach and riding bikes up and down the beach front. Funny but its not as much culture shock as I would have thought to see all the topless women.

Barcelona was probably the best time I had out of all the cities I visited, its the closest of any city to Vancouver that I've ever been to (except they have nicer weather and old Roman ruins). The lifestyle in Barcelona is something I can totally get used to, people have 3 hour lunch breaks!! Lunch goes from 2-5 pm and then have dinner sometime around 9 or 10pm and there are always people on the streets.

"Perfume" was filmed in the streets of Barcelona I will need to re-watch it again. Thanks for Lenny in providing that small bit of trivia. They also have this weird shellfish that I've unofficially called prawnsters. They look like they are a really large prawns but they have pincers like lobsters and a tail of a lobster too. Anyone who knows the proper name of those things let me know! I still think I will call them prawnsters though it works on so many levels.

No comments: